exploring one of the greatest senses

Everyday surprises in the life of an amateur smeller

Monday, April 5, 2010

Smell Exploration #1


The Good Smell:
Vicks Vapor Rub
If you have never experienced the menthol-induced smell of Vicks Vapor Rub, I do suggest purchasing this product. Whenever I see that beautiful cobalt colored jar with the green lid, I have to get a sniff. This smell reminds me of my childhood. My mother would rub it on my chest and under my nose when I had a cold. That smell offered relief from my annoying runny nose.


The Bad Smell:
Pear tree blossoms
Yes, these beautiful blossoms are the first sign of spring in the Midwest, but they surprisingly have an odor that's in it's own category of disgusting. They smell like a trash can, sewer and dog poop all in one. Although the most fragrant smells come from flowers these blooms do not have that luxury. Beware... you can look but I strongly suggest that you to think before you smell.

1 comment:

  1. Vicks is a great smell! I love that Vicks now comes on tissues...it's awesome!!

    We have some Pear tree blossoms going on in our front yard right now. It really is beautiful right now but so smelly!

    ReplyDelete